Sunday, September 20, 2015

California Living


I don't think I realized how tough it would be to keep up with my blog once I had two kiddos.  It's tough.  Before, I could write when Anderson was taking down time or playing independently, but now at that time Sterling generally needs attention.  And now as Anderson gets older we can do more fun things together and I thoroughly enjoy hanging out with him.  So nap time would be the obvious time to blog right?  Well, I actually do have the boys napping at the same time currently, it's lovely.  I didn't do anything, it was all Sterling that fell into line where he should ;) maybe it's just because he is only 2 months old and still sleeps all the time, but I ain't complaining.  However, during that time while living here I have needed to take full advantage of no child time and work on the house.  And by nighttime I am too exhausted and just want to relax with the hubs. I am sure I will get into a routine one of these days.  Oh but I sure do love having two little boys, and I do love being in California, now that my house feels like a home, thanks to my parents! They are miracle workers I tell you.

So...Northern California living includes:

-No AC.  TERRIBLE!! It won't be terrible once these darn ridiculous heat waves stop happening.  We moved here for the great weather not 100 degree weather without a way to get relief! We hear this last heat wave should be the end of it, then we will get our lovely 70 degree days and 40-60 degree nights.  Bliss.

-An old home.  Which leads to lots of painting, cleaning, organizing, blinds ordering, rug searching, picture hanging, and IKEA shopping. But hey, now it is a darling, quaint, humble home, with CHARACTER! Gotta love that word with old homes.  My favorite is the little square door in the wall where our mail is dropped into. Well that's actually probably Anderson's favorite.

-A yard! No it doesn't get any sun due to the huge trees, therefore no grass can grow, so currently it is all dirt, but its fenced! And what little boy doesn't love dirt. And we have a massive avocado tree that drops avocados every day, and Anders travels around with this wheel barrel picking them up.  We have yet to taste a ripe one, but I am sure the day will come. And turf is going to be put in next year! That will make that backyard perfect!

-Sandy Parks.  Those take some getting used to, but it's pretty darn fun

-Exploring.  There is so much to do here, we need to create a bucket list.  But we have checked off a couple beaches only 40 minutes away.

-Diversity.  I absolutely love how diverse this area is.  So many Hispanics, Indians, Asians, Egyptians, Caucasians, Muslims...I just love it! It's so fun seeing and learning different cultures.  Not everyone is that "utah" look (yes I know I am stereotyping and generalizing, but you get what I mean), but really it's so neat living in such a diverse area.

-Trees! Coming from the growing area of Lehi, there are no trees.  The trees here are MASSIVE! I am obsessed

-Density.  It. Is. So. Dense. Literally everything we need is within 15 minutes.  I am not even joking.  It's wonderful and so strange at the same time.  But quite convenient.

-A house! Have I mentioned how much I love being in a house.  In an old, established neighborhood, that is quiet and safe and we aren't sharing a wall with another family in a townhouse (even though i miss those neighbors terribly!) Oh I love it.

-Distance.  We are far away.  I know it's not too far, but it's still far.  I am not living in the same state as my sisters, for the first time ever in my life and we are further from my parents.  It's weird.  But in so many ways it is so good for my little family.  It's good to rely on each other.  I enjoy having to branch out and look for a babysitter rather than family (ok maybe not enjoy, and I have yet to do that one, oh but I will! I promise).  But I do think living further away from family will bring my little family closer and I look forward to that.

-Church.  My ward out here is quickly becoming my family.  As much as I enjoy living around family, it's kinda nice when you can't, and no one else can either! In Utah I felt like everyone had family close by.  Really.  For little insignificant holidays everyone was doing things with their families, so they couldn't do things with us, but here, everyone is in the same situation! We are all on our own so we flock to each other.  The women at church are so so welcoming and didn't hesitate to introduce themselves or introduce me to others, and I was put on lists for mommy play groups, activities, girl nights, within the first week I was here.  It was heaven.  I feel so grateful for being part of a church where there is so much camaraderie and love towards one another.  Gotta love the gospel.

LONG explanation short...I am happy.

I don't resent David one bit for moving me to California, although I will use it against him in order to travel to Colorado whenever I so choose.  But this transition really could not have gone easier.  I haven't felt lonely, or out of place, or unhappy I am here (except when it's blistering hot and we have no ac). I miss my sisters and friends SO much but I am so grateful I am quickly making friends here.  Anderson is also adjusting just fine.  I love my family and we can make any place our home and be as happy as we choose.

I am now a Californian....nah I wouldn't go that far, but getting there.



2 comments:

  1. Your little California family is darling. You have made yourself a love-filled home there. And there are worse places to visit! We will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will bloom wherever you are planted. Cherish the friends you make along this journey of LIFE! Glad you are loving your new home! We miss you❤️

    ReplyDelete