Sunday, August 13, 2017

Ivy Shirley Hansen: Birth Story

Ivy Shirley Hansen
August 9, 2017 at 7:31pm
8lb  21 inches

Birth Story: (warning: it's long) For a little context David had to go out of town to Boston 1.5 weeks before Ivy's due date on August 16th. He left Sunday morning on the 6th and was to return Wednesday evening on the 9th.  My mom came into town Monday afternoon just for peace of mind that I would have someone here if I went into labor early before David returned.  Both boys were early (Anderson 10 days, Sterling 5), so we knew it was a possibility but leading up to his departure we assumed he would be back in time, as I wasn't really progressing much towards labor whenever my midwives checked my cervix (remaining about at 2cm and 80% effaced), and Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday when he was gone there were literally no signs of labor.  So we assumed we were in the clear.  Ivy had other plans.

Wednesday morning on the 9th my Mom and I had planned to take the boys to Happy Hollow for a few hours to 1. get out of the house since we had been pretty low key the last couple days, and  2. possibly maybe start trying to start some type of labor since David would return that night.  Our "plan" was that I would have Ivy on Thursday the 10th.  Seemed like a good day.  David would be back in town, it is also my Grandpa's birthday.  Just felt good.  But I was mentally prepared to not go into labor for another week.  That is how much my body was showing NO SIGNS of labor.  Even Wednesday morning, nothing.

So after we grabbed lunch, off to Happy Hollow we went.  After just a little bit of walking, I noticed I was having contractions. (maybe around 2 pm) I mean how could I not?  I was 39 weeks pregnant, and doing a whole lot of walking that I hadn't been doing for a while.  So it made sense and didn't concern me.  Besides, it was more like Braxton hicks anyway.  I wasn't tracking the contractions at all because I was preoccupied and I think semi in denial since David needed to get home first before I went into labor and I knew from the boys' past births that once my labors start, they don't stop. (Anderson's birth and Sterling's birth if you want to read) So I didn't say anything, but I did take it fairly easily, sitting and watching as much as I could while the boys and grandma played.  After a couple hours though, I was getting tired, as were the boys, and I continued having contractions and I knew I needed to get home to rest and figure out what my body was doing.  We arrived home at 4 and when we were sitting in the driveway I tracked 3 contractions.  First at 4:02, second at 4:05, third at 4:09.  I know to many this seems way too close together and that I should go directly to the hospital.  But they were not intense.  I was perfectly fine through all of them, and both the boy's labors I always had contractions close together the entire time, so it didn't concern me much.

But I was determined to stop this "pre labor" so I went and just sat down.  I was getting semi frustrated because no matter how little movement I did, nothing helped them stop.  They continued.  And I literally had to pee every 30 minutes.  Eventually, my mom started pushing me that we should probably go in.  I didn't want to.  David still had 3 hours until he landed and I just needed the contractions to stop.  I went to my room and said a little prayer just asking Heavenly Father to bless my body that the contractions would stop and David would get home before they started again.  BUT if I was supposed to have this baby, that I would be fine, at peace, and all would go well.  I had faith that one of those would happen and I trusted His plan.

They didn't stop.  Eventually, I gave in because the contractions were getting a little more intense and it was a little harder to talk during them so I started searching around for who was available to come watch the boys while my mom took me to the hospital. During the searching process, we fed the boys and got them all ready for bed.  I really felt like I was doing fine. Bless sweet neighbors and friends.  One friend came to our rescue (thank you Sarah Moore!!) but she was running a little late, and I knew in the back of my mind I needed to get going.  So my neighbor Dawn Davis said she would walk over to stay until Sarah arrived.  While waiting it hit me and I looked and my mom and said "david is not going to be here for the birth is he?"  She agreed.  I cried a second. Then I text him.

 "You need to go straight to the hospital when you land.  I love you so much.  No idea if I'll have my phone or whatever.  Call my mom if you can't reach me.  Be safe.  I am ok.  I miss you.  I love you.  I'll do my best to wait it out until you get to the hospital. (kissy face) el Camino Hospital in Los Gatos"

When Dawn knocked on the door I was sitting and just started having another contraction so I kinda laughed and grunted: "hold on, having a contraction, one sec".  I didn't want to get up during that one. Then I pulled Anderson over and told him we were going to the hospital and that he may be a big brother when he woke up.  His face lit up and he said "baby sister is coming tonight?! (then he sighed and fell back on the floor like in shock) and says "ohh!! And I'm going to say 'Baby sister baby sister!'".  He seriously was so so cute I teared up.  He gave me a huge hug and a kiss and we quickly headed out the door.

My mom drove and I gave her directions.  We chatted the whole way.  I laughed saying it was so familiar being in the Subaru, heading to the hospital, while having contractions, because that is exactly how Sterling's birth was.  But I mentioned it was not nearly as intense as with Sterling's because I was literally getting urges to push while I was in the car with him.  We left for the hospital right at 7 pm and got there at 7:15.  I waited for one more contraction to pass and then we walked into the hospital and headed for the Maternity wing.  Met my midwife in the room and I had a contraction right when we got in.  She told me she wanted to check me so whenever I was ready to get on the bed.  I was having another contraction at that time and said: "ok make it fast though because I swear these contractions are like right on top of each other".  Through each contraction though I really felt like I was doing pretty good still.  They were way intense, tons of pressure down under, but I wasn't nearly making as much noise "mooing" (as David calls it), as I remember doing with Sterling.  I got on the bed and my sweet midwife Maria states "oh yeah, you're at a 10.  Water is completely in tact."  I'm pretty sure my mouth dropped.  I was in shock!  "what?  No, I can't be at a 10.  When did that happen?? When did I even go through transition??" I am seriously still in shock that I was at a 10 because I just didn't feel like it was ever THAT intense.  Don't get me wrong, it was intense, with a whole lot of pressure, and my contractions never let up but still, a 10?!? Baffling.  I said, "wait so if I am at a 10, can't we just break my water and have a baby?"  She wanted to get the antibiotic in my first though (I tested positive for the Strep B this pregnancy).  She did tell me that if I had any urge to push though, not to fight it.  I hadn't had any urges yet so I let them get the IV in.  They did, and then I had an urge.  During that contraction, my water broke and Maria said: "alright, we are having this baby".  The next contraction I pushed and baby head and body basically came out at once. 7:31pm.  15 minutes after arriving at the hospital.  "She just like slid on out," said my Mom, ha!.  I think she was a little in shock during the whole thing too.  It was her first experience being present for a birth! Pretty special.

After she was born I still think I kinda looked at my mom and we both laughed, semi in shock at what just happened and how fast and easy? it seemed.  I don't like to say easy because I don't like giving the impression that it was a piece of cake or painless or a walk in the park.  I mean give me some credit, I pushed a baby out of me ;), but it was just so different.  It was so fast and it seemed like it was such a gradual progression and I never reached that climax point, and then she was just born.  It was incredible.  I needed one small stitch inside but other than that, no tearing.  Ivy is a piece of heaven.

It was really a very calm and even spiritual experience.  Everything seemed to go so smooth.  No one was rushed, no one was screaming, no one was worried.  It was just a beautiful, calm birth.  I am SO extremely grateful that my Mom was there for me.  We laughed walking into the hospital because she offered her assistance, but she is probably 5 inches shorter than I am and a tiny little thing so basically I would feel like I would be overpowering her if I attempted to lean on her during labor.  But it was oh so comforting having her there with me.  She even got to the cut the cord. David never even did that with either of the boys (if you know him it won't surprise you).

David still had not landed but we were able to facetime Anderson since he was still awake (i mean we did only just leave him 30 minutes ago), and his reaction to baby sister was priceless.  Pure happiness.  She was crying when we showed him and he immediately goes, "ssshhhhhh it's ok baby sister, it's ok".  Yup, teared up at that too.

Finally, David texted me that he landed and I immediately called him.  "Hey.... Do you need me to go?  Or is it already done?" haha I told him he was a daddy again.  Pretty sure he didn't know exactly what to say.  "well are you ok?  you seem so normal and like you're so fine." Pretty much because I was, I felt great, and I was hardly exhausted it was so fast.  But he said he would call when he got a car and was heading over.  I feel so bad David missed the birth, I know he does too, but ya know, we were both fine.  Again, it won't surprise you if you know David.  And I don't hold it against him whatsoever.  There was nothing he could do.  And it was a very special thing for my mom and me to experience together also.  And David, I think he was more affected from his 6-hour flight and post trip headache than he was from missing the birth ;) I sure love that man.  I definitely sent him home to sleep that night.  He needed a good comfy bed and good nights rest more than I needed him in the hospital.

But Ivy Shirley is named after her absolutely incredible Great Grandma Shirley.  It was a no brainer when we were deciding on a name.  I knew she needed to be named after her.  We both did.  Ivy took some deciding, but it was the only name that both David and I liked, so it made it easy when you don't have any other options.  And I just fell in love with the combo.  Ivy Shirley.  Little Ivy.  Baby Ivy.  Yup.  I love it.  I love her.  She is perfection.  She has huge feet and hands, the cutest button nose, and an adorable widow's peak (I and my mom also have one).  She has a little bit of hair, quite a bit in the back, but it seems pretty light and even has a blond hue to it.  Fingers crossed for a white haired BLUE eyed baby girl.  We are all smitten.  Her brothers ADORE her.  It was a birth to remember.  And I can't wait to watch her grow! Love you baby girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment