Monday evening the 18th David and I were watching a Mission Impossible movie and I noticed I was having a few contractions. Nothing intense but they were happening pretty frequently. I attributed it to the intense movie and suggested we go to bed so my body could calm down. I was not having that baby in the middle of the night, no one wants to do that! My mom was coming into town on Wednesday, and I was determined. Besides, it was still 11 days before my due date so I figured it unlikely. Mind over matter.
It paid off, contractions stopped once I got into bed and I got a semi-decent (as decent as you can get 9 months pregnant with pubis symphysis dysfunction) sleep, so basically I got a few uncomfortable hours. But really I woke up feeling fine and super excited because my incredible friends were throwing a little baby celebration for me in the park that day and I was set on going and enjoying myself. Let me add it was "Ski Week" so Anderson was out of school all week long and we were stuck sticking around close to be safe. Anywho, I actually showered, got dressed, got makeup on, feeling darn good! For some reason when I was getting ready that morning, the thought crossed my mind that I could have that baby today, and I wanted to be clean and ready if I did, naturally. I wasn't having any contractions at all, but still, it would be nice to have her on a day that I actually showered and got ready right? But my mom was coming into town tomorrow so I was still fine waiting.
Got to the park and of course, Ivy was being a pill, tired, cranky, only wanted to be held. Driving there I noticed some contractions but didn't think much of it. But the whole time at the park, my back was aching. But I was literally having to hold Ivy the whole time, so I thought it could have easily been due to that. But again, the thought crossed my mind so I figured I should probably go home and put my feet up a bit. Thankfully my sweet friend Kellie had already offered to take both my boys back to her house for a playdate so I could rest while Ivy took a nap. Golden! Bless good people! So I went home and put Ivy straight down and sat back on the chair with my feet up and called my mom. Contractions at this point hadn't stopped. For me, when "active" contractions start, they don't stop until the baby comes. I know this. Hence why I called my mom to tell her about it and basically talk myself into calling David to come home and calling my midwife to see if I could meet her in the clinic to get checked just in case. Might as well. Deep down I knew I was having her today. I always know once it's in the process but the past three I never wanted to go to the hospital too soon, but again, determined to make this one not as rushed. So, I called David telling him to come home to come with me to get checked out, I called my midwife telling her the situation, and I called my saint of a friend Whitney, semi in tears about the whole thing (labor emotions are real), and without hesitation she rushed right over, with her 2 week old newborn might I add! Like I said, Saint.
David came and we literally grabbed the hospital bag, he grabbed his work stuff and we were on our way. I text Kellie telling her we were just going to get checked and if she was ok with the boys. Of course, she said she had it completely handled. I am surrounded by amazing friends. The drive to the hospital was amazing. Honestly. The last two labors I had we were rushing to the hospital and I was literally going through transition in the car and almost having a baby. So this drive seemed like the most relaxing drive ever, almost like David and I were going out on a little afternoon day date! Again contractions hadn't stopped, consistently every 5 minutes maybe. My contractions are always super close together. But I was perfectly fine.
We arrived at the clinic at maybe 2:15 and they hooked me up to monitor the contractions for 15-20 minutes, and then checked my dilation. 6!!!! We were in business. My midwife Maria told us I could maybe take like a 3-minute walk to the hospital next door but not long haha, she delivered Ivy so she knew the potential of things speeding up quickly. So we drove next door, in the process, I text my friend Mette who had asked if I would be comfortable having her take pictures during the birth. I had never done that before, but I was never against it, and I figured, hey this is likely (David will say definitely) my last baby so it could be neat! And I definitely ain't shy when it comes to people in the room during my labor, I've always been super relaxed and the thought never bugged me. So we called her when we were heading to the hospital and she came right over. We got to the hospital at 3.
The next two hours were honestly amazing. I know that sounds strange to some during labor but really, it was so calm, so relaxed, so fun. I have never had an epidural during my labors nor any medication so I was already planning on another unmedicated delivery, but I was strep B positive so they wanted to get at least 1 dose of antibiotics in me before baby was born (they knew the second dose wouldn't happen since it happens 4 hours later and my labors have been too fast previously), so for some of the time I was hooked up for that, but the rest I was sitting on a ball, walking around the room, Marco Poloing family and friends. Yup, David literally had his phone out almost the whole time and we were chatting with my fam bam the entire labor giving them basically a play by play. I love having those videos to look back on because it truly captures how I felt during that labor. Happy. Calm. Sometimes I would be talking and a contraction would come and so I would almost laugh through it. Others I would quietly breathe on the bed, or ball, or leaning against David. I honestly am blessed with wonderful labors where I never associate it with pain, more so just pressure or aching. I just feel in tune with my body, which definitely helps to know when it's time to push that babe out.
5:00 rolls around and I'm realizing that baby will probably come super soon. My water hasn't broken but it never has before until the baby is literally being born so it wasn't a surprise. I could just tell by how much pressure I felt. But still didn't have any urge to push. But I sat on the bed at this point. A few minutes later David put me on Marco Polo again and I was telling my family that I think she would be born any minute and literally, I have it on video "I think I'm getting the urge to push" and then it cuts out hahaha. I was slightly bugged because I knew she was so close to being born but I wasn't getting any urge to push yet and it was so frustrating. So finally when I got this urge and I let my body do its thing it was such a relief! I don't remember exactly how long I pushed for, it couldn't have been long obviously because she was born at 5:07, but my water broke as I was pushing her head out and then my midwife told me to wait to push her body because the cord was wrapped around her neck twice. It may sound scary, but trust me it wasn't. It is super common and she was so amazing at making it seem like it was no big deal. She slipped it over her head and then I pushed out her body the next contraction. Such joy! David got to cut the cord, his first time ever!! And when I was holding my sweet precious baby, I delivered my placenta and my midwife was giving David and Mette a full anatomy lesson on that sucker, ha! I loved it.
Bliss. That's all I felt after that moment that I gave birth to her and I got to hold that perfect piece of heaven. I didn't tear at all, and I honestly felt so good. And Nea was perfection. The darkest and most hair I have seen on any of my children and the most perfect little petite face. It was just incredible. Honestly, it was probably my favorite labor and birth experience just because it all went so smooth. No my mom wasn't there, but all of my kids were in safe hands, I didn't have to worry about them, I wasn't rushing to the hospital, David was actually present (he missed Ivy's, flying on a plane back home), no complications, plenty of time at the hospital but not a long exhausting amount, and it was just perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.
And to put the icing on the cake, Mette captured the entire process, in my opinion, portraying exactly how I felt. She did amazing. And all of the pictures, including baby actually being born (no I won't post those, however, if you ask me to see them, I will show you haha), so beautiful and tasteful. I will forever cherish those pictures. Thank you so much Mette!
Nea Belle Hansen (named after her grandma, my mom Linnea, and her great great grandma on David's side, May Belle Hansen) was born on Tuesday, February 19, 2019, at 5:07pm 7lbs 6oz, 20.5". She was and remains perfection. The sweetest, calmest baby. And now that I relive her delivery, I'm realizing that she is just like how her labor was, so calm, so content, so peaceful. She's the perfect bookend to our wonderful little family. We love you Nea Belle.
Below is a picture overload of basically me, so feel free to scroll quickly to the bottom for the main little beauty that is Nea Belle.

































So wonderful! I'm so glad I could capture it the way you felt and remember it. You did such an amazing job! xo
ReplyDelete