Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The Big Boy Bed

Anderson is officially out of his crib and in a bed, a twin bed, and man does he seem so little and yet so big.  I just wanted to remember a few things with this transition for the future because for the most part it went pretty darn smooth and quick, which surprised me.

We wanted to buy the bed before we moved and before baby came so Anderson could get used to it ahead of time.  I didn't want to be having to transition a toddler into a bed while at the same time having a newborn up multiple times at night.  My plan has also always been to have the boys share a room from the get go.  David and I cannot sleep with baby in our room.  We just can't.  We tried it with Anders, it lasted a few hours before we put him into his crib the first night we were home.  I have no problem hearing him cry when he wakes up, and for some reason I am not nervous whatsoever about him being in a separate room that me.  I have nothing against the mommies that do, to each her own! But the crib from day 1 worked magic for us and Anderson LOVED his crib so I wanted to continue with that pattern hopefully with brother.  So first step: big bed move.

his first night
Anderson loved his bed right away when we set it up, and he also knew he could get on and off so we knew we wouldn't get that lucky scenario where he thought he couldn't get out of bed without us, but the first night he did fall asleep in it with me sitting with him, but he woke up in the middle of the night because he couldn't find his binky in that big thing and not knowing how he would do i just popped him in his crib for the rest of the night...i wanted my sleep.  But from then on out he cried if he couldn't have his bed, he chose it every time.  We had two issues though:

    1. for nap times he would sleep on the floor.  Not sure why, he wouldn't cry or scream at the door or anything, he would simply lay at the door after banging a few times, possibly do some room "organizing" and then crash, which was fine but he wouldn't sleep as long there, the floor is not as comfy as the bed of course. 
see his organizational skills (would you believe his floor was spotless when I put him in his bed?)
at least he grabbed some pants from the hamper to use as a pillow.  
2.  night time he had a hard time going to sleep without me laying with him until he was out.  Of course that is fine on rare occasions, but i just can't do that every night, and i don't want to.  But then he would get out of bed, cry at the door a little and eventually fall asleep on the floor. We would move him to his bed and he would sleep there through the night and wake up at normal times and say "mom!" until I came to get him.  Not bad right?

However, I was getting so frustrated with the whole falling asleep on the floor thing.  I got so used to him loving his crib and falling asleep easily in it and playing there before and after sleep, it was so great, I of course wanted the same thing for the bed.  It really had only been a few days.  Yes I am impatient.  But we found the miraculous solution! Thanks to my mom!

TIE THE BINKY TO THE BED!!! 
Guys, this is a miracle worker! No it's not a choking hazard I promise.  Yes my 1.5 year old still has his binky.  No I am not ashamed whatsoever.  I will tell you why.  It is purely for sleeping.  He doesn't ever have it in when he is playing.  Never when we are out.  I would bring it to church on occasion since it's during nap time and he would fall asleep in him arms if he had it. When he gets it he immediately lays down wherever he is at.  It's like his cue to sleep.  Why would I take that away?! Especially during transitioning periods.  I wouldn't. 
think he has enough stuffed animals? kid loves cuddling

My mom told me that she tied our binkys to the bed so we couldn't take it off when we were awake, makes perfect sense.  I figured it would solve that problem (he started going to his bed just to bring it down, little stinker), plus also he would want to sleep on his bed so he could have it.  NAILED IT! It worked like a charm night one! It's long enough that he can still move around a little bit, but short enough that if he twists too much he would just pop it out, no choking hazard.  He usually spits it out before deep sleep anyways.  Oh man though has it been incredible! It is truly a genius idea.  Now even if he gets off his bed and tries to cry at the door, it hardly lasts a minute before going back onto his bed, grabbing that bink and falling to sleep.  HEAVEN! And during the day if he is having a hard time, needs a break or something, I will catch him go up to his room, onto his bed, lay with his binky for a couple minutes before taking it out and coming back to play.  Perfect.
one such occasion when he was being a little pill and needed a break and he knew it.  oh and when he is tired he ALWAYS has his finger at his belly button
Short version so my very long novel : Anderson is fully in a big bed, doesn't fall off, plays in his room after he wakes up and is waiting for us, sleeps the same as he did in the crib, and knows that the crib is now for baby brother. And binky is only for his bed now!  BOOM.  I love that boy and I love his fairly easy transitions for me.  So glad I did this now and not right after baby is born.  Now lets hope and pray that the whole sharing the room goes as smooth as the big bed transition. Oh and potty training.  Let me tell you, he is doing awesome in that department! I know I can't know for sure that he will be trained by the time brother comes, and I am not at all stressed about it, but I am fairly confident he will be.  Fingers crossed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment